Twitter is now the cornerstone for many businesses when it comes to their social media activity and I often get asked for help by clients who are looking to get more out of their social media. The first thing to establish is what you want to achieve from Twitter, this will differ from business to business but will generally fall in to one of the following:
• Listen to other
• Increase followers
• Increase traffic to you site
• Increase sales
• Distribute your message
Once you have set out your aims and goals there are some simple rules for helping you achieve them.
1. Never buy followers – If you’re looking to build a creditable, engaging and potentially profitable following then this is a big no no. Accounts with fake followers stand out like the proverbial sore thumb and could deter other genuine users from following you.
2. Tweet regularly – Consistency is very important when it comes to tweets, as a minimum you should be tweeting or retweeting once a day. By contrast don’t over tweet, too much content can fill the main stream of someones profile and put followers off. If you are going to be away for an extended period of time use tools like Hootsuite to schedule your tweet.
3. Retweet – Build followers, connections and relations by retweeting the posts of others, this will help you to build a creditable following.
4. Share interesting content – The web is awash with great content and there is much you can share. Read everything you are looking to share and only share if you feel it is appropriate and in keeping with your brands message. Sharing content also introduces you to the author who will be please you’re sharing their content and might do the same for you.
5. Follow back – 99 times out of a 100 I would follow someone back that follows me, the reasons for not following back are if I feel the account is a fake account.
6. It’s not just about you – Nothing turns followers off faster than tweet after tweet of self-promotion, yes you need to entice your followers but you must also give them a reason to follow you.
7. Make it easy for people to follow you – You should make it easy for users to follow your twitter account (and all of your social channels), include links on your website, email signature, literature and email marketing activity.
8. Follow relevant people – This helps to establish a creditable following and you have an increased chance of adding to your followers.
9. Use links – Adding links to your tweets helps to drive traffic to your websites homepage of specific landing page.
10. Analyse you activity – Analysing your activity is the only way to identify which tweets are working hardest for you, understanding this will allow you to improve your engagements rates.
Contact me for more information on developing your Twitter strategy and getting the most from your social media.